Camp Wood YMCA
ABOUT FAMILY CAMPS
Join us for a fun-filled weekend with the whole family on Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends!
Spend your time enjoying everything Camp Wood YMCA has to offer while our staff do all the work. Everyone - whether veteran families that have attended camp for years, or a "first-year family" - leaves feeling like one big happy family.
Meals: Our meals are served buffet style to allow guests a chance to relax and have an enjoyable dining experience. A full salad bar is available at both lunch and dinner as well as a cereal bar at breakfast. We do our best to cater to dietary restrictions, so please let us know and we will contact you if there are limitation to what we can provide.
Program: From early in the morning to late evening, we provide a full schedule of optional activities to keep you and your family as busy — or as relaxed — as you like. Join other families who share your interest in the outdoors, enjoy the lake, hike the trails, be creative in the arts and crafts area, ride a horse, or lounge by the fire with a book. All this and more are led by the heart and soul of Camp Wood YMCA— our staff. Whatever your age, we have an activity for you.
Lodging: Each family chooses the type of housing they would like. Whether your family is up for roughing it or you’re looking for a little home away from home, there is a lodging option for you.
Activities for the weekend include:
- Horseback Trail Rides: this activity is provided to participants 7 years old and older. All riders are required to wear long pants. Camp Wood YMCA provides helmets. No previous riding experience is required!
- Pony Rides: for 6-year-old and younger. Both Saturday and Sunday morning, our youngest campers can experience being horse back while being led by a trained wrangler. Parents can walk along side for added comfort!
- Tye-Dye: each family camp weekend will provide at least one opportunity to participate in tye-dye. Bring your own whites or buy a white Camp Wood YMCA T-shirt from the camp store!
- Nature Activities: take a hike through the pasture with your family or wait for an organized trip out led by a Camp Wood staff member. Some activities include explore Camp’s fossil pit and searching for reptiles. Camp Wood has a variety of resources you can read through or hike with to learn more about the beautiful Tall Grass Prairie!
- Campfires: every village of cabins is set up with its own fire circle. Weather permiting, Camp Wood staff can provide your family and its neighbors with wood and water to maintain a safe fire each evening!
- Alpine Climbing Tower: For participants 10 and older. You will have the opportunity to climb our 45 foot Tower through a variety of different challenges. The tower is ran by approved Camp Wood YMCA trained belayers.
- Giant Swing: For participants 8 and older. You choose how high you go, with the limit of ~30ft! Also ran by approved Camp Wood YMCA staff.
- Outdoor Cooking: at least twice over the weekend a Camp Wood YMCA staff member will lead a session teaching simple recipes anyone could cook over an open fire!
- Swimming: overseen by certified lifeguards, you are invited to play on the sand beach or swim in the designated lake area.
- Songs: on the first and last evening, families come together with Camp Wood YMCA staff to sing fun songs and watch silly skits around the central camp fire pit.
- Field Games: Camp Wood YMCA staff are equiped with a large variety of games ranging from tags, relays, and skills challenges. We also have a variety of self ran options, just ask us if we have the materials and we will make sure we set them out for you!
- Canoeing: ran by experienced lifeguards. No experience needed. Up to three people per boat.
- Sports: volleyball, soccer, basketball, tennis, & kickball facilities and equipment are available
- Horseshoes & Tether-ball
- Archery: ran by trained Camp Wood YMCA staff. All equipment is provided. No age limit, but individuals under the age or 7 will need assistance from a parents.
- Arts & Crafts: bracelet making is just one of the many possibilities at the Craft Shed during your stay!
Planning your next family reunion? Create the ultimate family bonding experience with Camp Wood YMCA. Learn more here.